Back in DC:
- There’s a smell of fried food everywhere.
- All the fruit in the supermarket is bruised somewhere.
- People don’t know how to use the underground. Or the escalators. But really, it’s not entirely their fault – the stations are just so badly designed!
On the bright side:
- It’s sunny and warm. (This was last week)
- It’s light from 7am till 5pm.
- People are friendly. Really – in my first two days back two people spoke to me in the street around Adams Morgan. The first was a local street peddling artist (every neighbourhood should have one) who guessed from my Austin t-shirt that I wouldn’t mind keeping Adams Morgan weird by buying a painting from him. The second, an oldish woman, approached me, all smiles, exclaiming ‘is it a cat?’ – which confused me until I remembered I was wearing my blind tiger t-shirt from Topeka!
I don’t know how long we’ll stay in DC, but overall I’m happy to be here.